Well I made my pumpkin shake and drank it while gutting 5 pumpkins. Now first, lets get real. Gutting 5 pumpkins is a work out! I had fun drinking my pumpkin smoothie in the process though.
So if you refer to my last entry you’ll see the ingredients. I could not find dates at the store and I used honey instead of maple syrup. It was really good and something I will make again. I did not have the time to wait for the coconut water to freeze either so I used regular ice cubes.
While I was carving out and gutting my pumpkins and drinking my pumpkin shake I had lunch and dinner going at the same time. Lunch was a baked potato smothered in cheese queso. Dinner is in the crockpot. I’m making Paleo Orange and cranberry chicken.
– 1 butternut squash (1.5 lbs.), cubed
– 1 sweet onion, sliced
– 2 pears, sliced
– 1 orange sliced
– 1 package of raw cranberries
– chicken breasts to feed your party
– 1 cup veggie or chicken broth (optional)
– 1 package of bay leaves
– Sea salt, pepper, garlic powder, and cinnamon
1. Layer squash cubes at the bottom of the crockpot.
2. Put half of the onions, pears, and cranberries on top.
3. Add 1 bay leaf and some spices
4. Arrange a layer of chicken on top of the spices
5. Add another layer of spices and the second bay leaf on top of the chicken
6. Add the remaining onion, pear, cranberries & sliced orange
7. Pour the broth over the mixture (this isn’t necessary – I like it because it makes it a little bit soupy)
8. Cook on high for 3 hours and then low for 90 minutes
First thing is I’ve never made this before but I thought it sounded like a good fall dinner. Second of all, next time I will buy frozen, pre-cubed butternut squash. Ain’t nobody got time to figure out how to cut up a raw butternut squash. Thirdly, the smell in the house is fantastic. 🙂